(BPT) – Millions of cats are in shelters across the country waiting for a loving parent or family to bring them home. Every year, 3.4 million cats enter shelters. Only 37 percent are adopted, while 41 are euthanized and less than 5 percent of cats who come in as strays are returned to their owners, according to the ASPCA.
Fresh Step wants to help make a cat’s transition to its new home as successful as possible by combating litter box rejection, one of the biggest reasons cats are returned to shelters. New Fresh Step with the power of Febreze doesn’t just mask odors, it eliminates them leaving behind a fresh, clean scent, which ultimately makes both cats and their owners happy.
Through its Million Meow Mission, Fresh Step strives to help every shelter cat find a forever home and encourages anyone considering adopting a cat or kitten to take action.
Helpful hints for a happy cat
* Take it slow – Give him/her some time to adjust to his/her new environment. A new cat may need a few weeks to acclimate to new surroundings and a new schedule.
* Keep it simple – For the first week or two, keep your cat’s diet similar to what he/she received at the shelter. If you want to change to a different flavor or brand of cat food, make the change slowly and over a weeklong period.
* Staging the loo – Set up the litter box in a quiet, low-traffic area of the house the cat can always access. Be sure to fill the litter box with 3-4 inches of litter. Cats need a clean environment and are incredibly fussy about cleanliness. Be sure to scoop out solids at least once a day and dump and clean the litter box once a month (or as necessary).
* Kitty-proofing – Before letting your new feline friend loose in the house, be sure to cat-proof your home by putting away potentially harmful products such as cleaning products, medications and any poisonous household items or houseplants.
* Preventive care – Bring your new feline friend to a caring veterinarian for a wellness exam within one week after adoption. Cats typically should be seen by veterinarians annually in order to keep up with vaccines and simply for preventive care.
Fresh Step is introducing its new Paw Points Rewards app for iPhone and Android, which makes it easy to donate directly to your local animal shelter. Members can also earn points for all Fresh Step purchases and redeem them for litter, coupons and cat toys. The app is free, fun and cat approved.