(BPT) – You may be enjoying the fun and sun of summer activities, but your bank account may think otherwise. It’s difficult to save money this time of year, but with smart budgeting you can still enjoy everything the warm weather has to offer. Instead of forgoing the fun, consider cutting the costs instead.
Sound too good to be true? It’s not. Beat the heat of your bank account this season by following these five tips for hot savings:
1. Maximize your rewards. Whether a credit card or vacation points program, you can save big when you take the time to understand your rewards program. Many offer cash back, mileage, you name it! Spending wisely throughout the year may help you save up for a rewards splurge later!
2. Cell savings. If you’re phone bill is busting at the seams, kick it to the curb. Straight Talk Wireless is now offering 30-day Unlimited Talk and Text with more high speed data than ever before with the first 5GB of high speed data at 4G LTE speeds. You can even keep your existing phone, network and number, with Straight Talk’s Bring Your Own Phone (BYOP) program.
3. Save on energy. You may not realize one of the biggest energy hogs in your home isn’t large appliances – it’s your cable box. A simple flip of the switch at the end of the day can save you big time. And don’t forget to keep boxes off in rooms where the TV isn’t used as often. If no one’s watching, then you shouldn’t be paying.
4. Don’t let your thermostat stray when away. Many brands now offer apps that let you control all of the appliances in your home right from your smartphone. Home automation technology can even tell you how much power you use on your electronics, giving you valuable insight into which electronics are costing you the most each month. Many also feature auto-away settings. By monitoring your habits you can program your settings for a more cost effective lifestyle.
5. Implement the 30-day rule. Evading instant purchasing-gratification is hard, but it’s an often overlooked tactic for balancing personal finance. By waiting 30 days, shoppers typically find after a month has passed, the urge to buy has passed as well. You’ll have saved yourself some money simply by waiting. In the instance you’re on the fence about a purchase anyway, waiting a while can give you a better perspective on whether it’s truly worth the money. If you still want it at the end of 30 days, then go ahead and buy it!
Enjoy the summer season knowing your bank account is, too. By following these five tips you’ll save and spend smarter. To learn more about affordable options available from Straight Talk Wireless, visit StraightTalk.com.