(BPT) – What entertained you in the 90’s? Was it the last episode of Seinfeld? The first episode of Friends or big, exciting adventure films like Titanic, Saving Private Ryan or Armageddon? Maybe you remember something else, and no, we don’t mean heading out to the mall in your flannel, your overalls, and your jelly shoes.
Twenty years ago, the world was introduced to a fun, fiery young dragon named Spyro. Spyro(TM) the Dragon was a first-of-its-kind gaming experience in the 90s, and now the video game icon is making a comeback in a big way on Nov. 13 with the Spyro(TM) Reignited Trilogy. Now fans who fell in love with him two decades ago, as well as a whole new legion of fans, can get ready to soar in a wild, fully remastered gaming adventure.
A new spin on a classic character
In Spyro’s first appearance, fans were introduced to a happy, young purple dragon determined to free his fellow dragons imprisoned by his foe, Gnasty Gnorc.
Re-imagined from the ground up by developer Toys for Bob, the Spyro Reignited Trilogy collection includes the three games that started the phenomenon: Spyro(TM) the Dragon, Spyro(TM) 2 Ripto’s Rage! and Spyro(TM) Year of the Dragon.
The fun and nostalgic gameplay that fans remember is packed with more than 100+ levels, remastered with breathtaking graphical updates and improved gameplay controls. This winter, players can relive their favorite memories and create new ones as they get acquainted with Spyro’s gang of zany dragons and other goofballs including Sparx the Dragonfly, Hunter, Sheila, Agent 9 and Sgt. Byrd.
“We’re deeply passionate about staying true to the legacy of the original three Spyro games with the Spyro Reignited Trilogy,” said Paul Yan, co-studio head at Toys For Bob. “We’ve poured a lot of love into making the personalities and worlds feel just like fans remember them, while also keeping the game collection surprisingly fresh with lush, high-definition detail. We’re bringing back the Spyro we all fell in love with 20 years ago.”
Can’t wait until Nov. 13? Check out some fun Spyro facts now!
Fast Spyro facts
Twenty years is a long time, so to help you get re-acclimated with the world’s favorite mighty purple dragon, here are a few fun things you probably never knew about Spyro.
1. His original name was Pete. Yep, Pete. A fine name to be sure, but the switch to Spyro certainly sets him apart.
2. He was originally going to be green. Yes, just like the name Pete, a green dragon is certainly more common. Developers changed his color to purple so he wouldn’t blend into the grassy background, and the color change helped give him his defining look.
3. His glide is literally rocket science. To ensure Spyro had an authentic glide, the team hired a NASA rocket scientist who used his training in flight control to inspire the glide.
4. Iconic film inspiration. Each level in Spyro was given a theme as the production team wanted them to feel different from each other. But did you know they took their inspiration from the movies? The Beast Makers Hub production team members were fans of Apocalypse Now, the team for Cliff Town was inspired by Star Wars, and numerous others were devotees of the Indiana Jones series.
5. He’s bringing his friends. Sparx isn’t the only character coming back to the Spyro Reignited Trilogy. Ripto’s Rage introduced new characters including Hunter, a cheetah; Elora, a faun; The Professor, a mole; Zoe, a fairy; Sheila the Kangaroo; Sgt. Byrd; Bentley the Yeti; and Agent 9. Thankfully, all of Spyro’s friends will be back and, in some cases, playable.