If you think of oatmeal as part of your average, boring breakfast, it’s time to think again. As a morning staple, oatmeal gives you the get-up-and go you need to start the day.
The demand for non-GMO products continues to rise as people become aware of the benefits and desire transparency on the ingredients they consume. In fact, many oat brands now offer non-GMO products. McCann’s Steel Cut Irish Oatmeal(R) offers three products – Steel Cut Irish Oatmeal in the 28oz. Tin, Quick & Easy Steel Cut Irish Oatmeal(R) in the 24 oz. Canister, and Quick Cooking Rolled Oats in the 16 oz. Box – that are certified non-GMO.
Whichever oatmeal product you choose for breakfast, there are many unique and delicious ways – beyond your plain, traditional oatmeal – to enjoy the oats. Power up the first meal of your day with any of these ideas:
Baked oatmeal: If you prefer an on-the-go breakfast bar, baked oatmeal is for you. Add in your favorite fruit combination and you’ll feel like you’re biting into a delicious oatmeal cookie every morning.
Oatmeal breakfast smoothie: Smoothies are the perfect breakfast solution for a busy morning. Add McCann’s Steel Cut Irish Oatmeal(R) before you blend to provide a delicious, nutty taste. With no processing or artificial ingredients, these certified non-GMO oats add rich texture and the benefits of 100 percent whole grain.
On-the-go oat bars: Whip up a pan of protein packed oat bars and you’ll have a better-for-you breakfast for days. With ingredients like protein powder, peanut butter and coconut oil, it’s a quick and easy breakfast that will help fuel you for the day ahead.
Oat flour muffins or pancakes: Did you know you can easily make oat flour at home? Simply grind up oats in a blender or food processor. Use it in place of regular flour for your baked goods and breakfast favorites.
Easy overnight oats: Put your oatmeal together the night before and let the oats soak in a mixture of almond milk, Greek yogurt and fruit. The next morning, the flavors will have deliciously combined to create a creamy on-the-go breakfast, no cooking required.
Oatmeal banana bread: Bananas and oats always create a winning combination of flavors to provide energy for the day. And better yet, adding oats to the recipe keeps your banana bread from getting mushy.
Get more out of your breakfast with any of these delightful breakfast options. For more recipes and ideas, visit mccanns.ie.
Irish Oatmeal Muffins
* 1 cup McCann’s Quick & Easy Steel Cut Irish Oatmeal(R)
* 1 cup all-purpose flour
* 1 cup sunflower seeds
* 1 1/2 cup 2 percent milk
* 1/2 cup honey
* 1 cup raisins
* 2 teaspoons baking powder
* 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 2 teaspoons cinnamon
* 2 eggs, slightly beaten
* 1/2 cup butter, melted
* Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease the muffin pan or line with paper baking cups.
* Lightly toast sunflower seeds for about five minutes. But take care, they burn easily.
* Combine the toasted sunflower seeds, the flour, oatmeal, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and raisins in a large mixing bowl and stir them together with a fork. In another bowl, mix the milk, eggs, honey and butter. Then add the combined dry ingredients. Stir with a fork until just blended.
* Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin pans, filling each about two-thirds full. Bake for about 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool on a rack.