(BPT) – Summers are rich with opportunities for warm weather fun and you don’t have to go far, or spend a lot, to enjoy the best of the season. Here are a few ways to maximize your summer fun without maxing out your budget.
* Visit the farmers market or roadside stands around town. The summer season comes with delicious fruits and vegetables, and there’s nothing quite like getting fresh produce directly from the ones who have grown it. Plus, buying from the source is often less expensive than the grocery store and helps support the local growers in your neighborhood. You’ll enjoy only the best seasonal produce and get some Vitamin D while you’re at it.
* Become a tourist in your hometown. Summertime calls for vacation but that doesn’t need to mean visiting a far off place. Are there any historical sites or museums in your town you still haven’t visited? A new restaurant you’ve been waiting to try? Search for places that offer deals to locals and enjoy the activities in your own backyard. You’ll save on hotel costs and won’t have to pack a bag.
* Save at the pump – on fuel and more. Programs like the Shell Drive for Five Card offer savings all year long, as all cardholders earn a discount of five cents per gallon on qualifying gasoline or diesel purchases. Just buy a minimum of 45 gallons of Shell Nitrogen Enriched Gasoline or Shell Diesel in one month and the savings will apply from the first gallon up to 100 gallons for every qualifying month. And now through August 31, 2013, if you apply for the Shell Drive for Five Card for the first time, you can earn rebates equal to the amount you spend on non-fuel purchases with the Shell Drive for Five Card during the first 90 days – up to a total of $ 50 in rebates. Apply today at www.shell.us/driveforfive or pick up an application at any Shell-branded station.
* Have fun in the sun at your area parks, pools or beaches. Get out of the house and enjoy the fresh summer air this season. Take the whole family to the park and enjoy outdoor activities like tennis, Frisbee, hiking, biking and more. Or grab your swimsuit and hit the pool or the beach. It’s low-cost family fun that you’ll all enjoy together. Pack a picnic and continue the summer savings.
* Get grilling. You don’t need to leave the house to find the party. In the summer, all you need is good food and good people to have a great party! Host a potluck-style backyard barbecue for friends and family.
Now that you have these tips, it’s time to have some fun. Start today and enjoy these summer saving tips this season and throughout the rest of the year – just don’t forget the sunscreen.